Tuesday, January 12, 2016

It's January 12. How are those New Year Resolutions working out for you?

It's true. I don't make resolutions any more. Haven't for years. Why? Because my resolutions always sounded like "I will lose those final 10 pounds" or "I will go to the gym 5 days a week" or "I won't eat cake." And inevitably those sounded like all miserable things to do. They sounded like things other people were telling me I should (or shouldn't) do. But I didn't really want to do any of it. 

Those resolutions would probably have been more accurate if I had said "I will TRY to go to the gym 5 days a week" or "I will TRY not to eat cake." Have you noticed how many times you use the word "TRY"? I noticed the other day. I was late to class (again) and I said to the teacher, "Sorry to be late; I'll try to be on time next class." But guess what? I was late again the following week. I thought to myself, "did I try not to be late"? The answer was NO.

I didn't try. I mean I thought about it. I thought about "trying not to be late" at least a half-dozen times that day. I thought about "trying not being late" when I probably should have left my house, but instead decided to do one more thing before I got in the car and rushed over. 

I said I would "try not to be late" because that's what you are supposed to do. I would "try to go to the gym" 5 times a week because that's what you are supposed to do. I would "try to not eat cake" because that's what you are supposed to do.

Forget it all. Stop living someone else's "should do's." Start living what is important to you. I have since decided that I am either going to be on time for class or I'm not. I'm not going to "try" anymore. I will either do or not do. Join me in this radical movement. Break out of these expectations others hold of you. Decide what you expect for yourself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment